Saturday 15 January 2022

Quiet

I’d gone very quiet there for a bit. Why? Had I nothing to say? No, I’ve plenty to say but maybe I’d already said it, and as a general rule we’re probably better off not repeating ourselves. That might though get a bit embarrassing - that is if we really tried to put that into practice, not repeating ourselves … Awkward silences everywhere as we desperately try to come up with something new. In the end we give up and go back to repeating ourselves. Or else I suppose we could reach for our phones. No one might even notice the awkward silences. 

But anyway, whatever about being quiet, it is better to produce sound rather than mere noise. If there was a well of silence and a well of noise, a musician should draw from the silence, not the noise. That’s my advice. And not just musicians - I didn’t intend to leave everyone else out. I wasn’t trying to be a cultural snob … or who knows, maybe I was - I was advising from on high the musicians of the world … Underneath the surface we can be so crude … pride, vanity … and so subtle in our expressions of this crudeness. Everything - all this crudeness - gets masked or justified. We have to watch ourselves, otherwise who knows where all this crudeness leads us. 
Anyway, I probably shouldn’t just cut myself off like this, in mid-stream, but I’m afraid there’s things to do.

No comments: