Friday 7 January 2022

In Defence of Servility

How to defend personal servility beneath whatever may be going on: be careful not to find about things. Because when someone makes sure not to know about these unpleasant things, then they’re innocent of the knowledge of them! 
“The governments were doing these kinds of tyrannical things? I had no idea. Not a clue. It was all so concealed. How could I have known?”
 “But weren’t various people telling you, even perhaps members of your own family ? They could even show you the direct visible proof. It would only have taken you a couple of minutes of your time to see exactly what they were saying and doing.” 
“I made sure I didn’t look at any of it. They were just crazy.”
“But they were right.”
“How was I to know? So anyway like I said, I had no idea all this stuff was going on.” 
“But it was also happening right in front of your face.”
“It was all very, very subtle. No one had a clue what was really going on. Even the news didn’t know what was happening.”
“I suppose they were also busy making sure not to know.”
“Yes, so you see everything we were told made so much sense. No one knew any different.”

No comments: