Wednesday 11 August 2021

Servility, Nietzsche, Jesus

I’m not going to try to go anyway deep into the following but just to touch on the idea of the ideal of Christ as being excessively meek, and this meekness flowing easily into an attitude of servility and actually being an outpouring at source of a slave mentality, as one might find in Nietzsche. I think Nietzsche is far from consistent though in such attitudes, and the very fact of in his plunge into madness he even signed his name to letters as The Crucified One suggests how deep all this really affected him. Anyway I’m not going to make an essay or comprehensive argument out of this but just to give a couple of quotes nearby each other from the Gospel of Luke regarding this idea of servility, and to say real servility will do anything to avoid conflict, with the hopeful result of being left alone regardless of the cost to one’s dignity:

Be dressed for action and have your lamps lit.

I came to bring fire to the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! I have a baptism with which to be baptised, and what stress I am under until it is completed! Do you think I came to bring peace to the earth? No, I tell you but rather division! From now on, five in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three.


No comments: