Thursday 11 February 2021

Longer but Worse

The days are getting longer but the weather is getting worse. That must have some hidden depths to it surely, that line, but, whatever they are, those depths, if indeed they are, rather than getting all clever and analytical I’ll try to avert my gaze and leave them be. Maybe though in reality it really is the most ordinary of sentences and that’s as far as it goes, pure ordinariness and nothing more; but I have a feel for these things, and I feel there is more. I’m very alert to these things. I suppose we could say, without spoiling things and getting all intellectual, it must be, with these lengthening days and worsening weather, the winter in its rage fighting off the inevitable approach of spring. “Inevitable?! There’s nothing inevitable about it! Watch what I do now!”

No comments: