Monday 22 February 2021

Allegory with a Dog and an Eagle


 

A work by Leonardo da Vinci. The beast in the boat suggests more a bull to my mind but is apparently a dog, and if interested more on the allegorical meanings then you can have a look here: https://www.rct.uk/collection/912496/an-allegory-with-a-dog-and-an-eagle. I admit I tend to be far more interested in experiencing such images and their power nakedly rather than being too interested in their time-bound meanings or interpretations. Those moments in time or historical circumstances obviously fade away but the image continues to traverse future time, and so its power to resonate becomes much more solely a matter of the intrinsic image and its relation to our inner beings rather than to some external circumstances. Though even that can be a bit all too intellectual, and rather than being all concerned with how it resonates at some deep level, I really posted it because I like the picture!

No comments: