Tuesday 1 March 2022

Movement

“If you couldn’t go forward and you couldn’t go back, and you couldn’t go left and you couldn’t go right, and you couldn’t go up and you couldn’t go down, what would you do?”
“I suppose I’d have to stay where I was.”
“Yes.”
“Yes what?”
“Yes, that is the correct answer.”
“Well there wasn’t much bloody choice, was there? The only option was immobility.”
“Yes but you came into agreement with your immobility. That was a very reasonable course of action.”
“There was no action! There was only inaction,”
“But mentally you were in agreement with it. You were not in a state of useless and unreasonable revolt.”
“How do you know what state I was in?! I had no possibility of movement, and so I didn’t move! I don’t think I would have been happy about it.”
“Yes, but you didn’t start shouting or anything. You simply agreed to the lack of movement and got on with things. You were obedient to reality and made the best of the situation.”
“Well if you put it like that, I think I’d have started roaring.”
“That would not be reasonable.”

No comments: