Saturday 7 October 2023

When God is Silent

 

I think this goes very deep. 

And I might as well post something here I thought of lately. Though there’s no Orthodox Church anywhere near where I am, I’m sure Orthodoxy is the true faith, and the Roman Catholic split from it was very much in error. But maybe because of the lack of spiritual power of the “organised religion” the West and “rationalised” West tends to experience, a very normal reaction has been to search for spiritual in all kinds of other directions, and to say for example “I don’t believe in organised religion.” So I’ll just post a little dialogue on that thought below.

“I don’t believe in organised religion.”
“Do yiu believe in organised music?”
“Organised music?”
“Yeah. Do you believe music shouldn’t be organised? Like no bands, no records, no concerts or festivals and so on?”
“Well no, of course. It has to be organised in those senses, yeah.”
“What about organised films?”
“Well obviously there wouldn’t be any films if they weren’t organised, so yeah, I suppose I do.”
“And theatre, the same again I suppose. And then there’s architecture, the basic societal structures, from electricity to plumbing, roads, etc, etc.”
“Well yeah, it would just be a chaotic mess.”
“What might make it easier is if you tell me is there anything else that is organised that you don’t believe should be, or is it just organised religion that you don’t believe in?”

Though the video is the main reason for this post! Just to add, ideally in “organised religion”, ordinary people are in a deeply beneficial relationship with people who are deeply committed to a life of holiness, and to remove that relationship is to do a great harm. So that’s one sense in which it’s a framework around which faith and experience may flourish and deepen - and I’m sure someone could talk on how it’s far beyond that issue. Whatever about reality that of course is the ideal, and I’m not going to go beyond that for now or I’ll be here all day.

No comments: