Thursday 5 February 2009

A Glimpse Into the Engine-Room of Literature

"Ah, this conversation is going nowhere!"
"You only just started it."
"No, no, that's just the first line. I'm trying to give the impression we're in the middle of some heated discussion."
"And what am I supposed to do?"
"Keep going- make something up."
"Okay, give me a second...But Bismarck was a fool, I tell you."
"What?"
"You know... Bismarck- Prussian Chancellor, unification of Germany..."
"I know who Bismarck was. What the hell put him into your head?"
"I don't know. Just the first thing that came to mind."
"And what kind of conversation do do you think we can end up having about him?"
"I don't know. Maybe we could try blaming him for World War One, and move on from there."
"Ah this is so stupid. Who's going to want to read this kind of rubbish?"
"You never know. There might be an audience out there crying out for exactly this kind of thing."
"No there isn't."
"All right, all right, I'll think of something else."
"Forget it. We'll end up looking even bigger fools."

No comments: