Monday 16 February 2009

Existential Historical

"Oh God, here we go again. More solipsistic nonsense."
Solipsistic? Nonsense. I accept the existence of the reader as an existential fact."
"Thank God for that."
"It's the writer I deny."
"The writer? But that's you. How can you deny your own existence?"
"Let me explain. Within a slice of historical time, a written piece, for example this one, is indeed written. In fact, this is being written right now, but that 'right now' no longer exists in the sense implied, but it does exist precisely 'right now' and only 'right now' when being read. So the reader here exists as existential fact, but the writer merely as historical fact, and is there anything more dubious than an historical fact?"
"Okay, but you should know there's been complaints."
"Complaints?"
"Yes, complaints. 'A lack of plausible characters.'"
Pause. "Well what do you think?"
"About what?"
"What do you think?! The bloody complaint. Do you find your existence plausible?"
"Well yes, of course. But what else do you expect me to say? I don't know anything else."
"Well if you don't know anything else, then what are you complaining about?"
"I'm not the one complaining."
"Well tell whoever is the same thing I just told you, and see what he says."

No comments: