Thursday 21 June 2007

Useful Advice

You remember that wonderful chart hit of a few years ago, "I Get Knocked Down," by Chumbawumba?
Some of the lyrics were as follows:

I get knocked down but I get up again
You're never going to keep me down
I get knocked down but I get up again
You're never going to keep me down
I get knocked down but I get up again
You're never going to keep me down

A later verse on in the song's pathway thru time, the identical passage of events is repeated in which the central protagonist is repeatedly beaten to the floor only to rise again, whereupon he is quickly sent back to floor from which he just arose. Up he gets again only to be met by the same predictable outcome.
Tragically later on in the song we see he is still being beaten to the floor, rising, sent crashing, etc. Why he should be the target for such abuse is unknown, though since noone steps in to his aid at any time during this shocking tale of cyclical physical aggression perhaps he is not without blame.
Anyway, my advice to this indefatigable young man is- Stay down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would admire his courage and show of strength to get up after each knockdown, but very quickly, through the painful lessons he was experiencing wouldn't you have imagined that by the second, or at the very latest the third line of his song, he would have run, thus escaping his ordeal!!!
Perhaps it was the realisation that he had a hit-song on his hands that convinced him to stick it out to the end.

Andrew said...

That notion of glimpsing his potential hit-song sounds plausible; the excitement of pondering his future success presumably immobilised his fight or flight mental hardware, as by all accounts he did neither(fight or flight), but merely offered his increasingly battered body as a human punch-bag for whoever was above administering the beatings. He's also possibly so punch-drunk from the punishment being meted out that he has become too stupid to realise he better do something other than merely getting back up to get knocked back down.

Anonymous said...

Beckett had a four-page play on this theme. The hero does indeed give up in the end.