Tuesday, 28 July 2026

heaven, Dante

“You know what I was thinking about earlier?”
“I don’t know. The Galapagos Islands?”
“The Galapagos Islands? No, I wasn’t thinking about them. Good guess though, but no. I might have been thinking about them, but I wasn’t. What I was thinking about was … emm . . . Let’s call it Celebrity Heaven.”
“What’s that? Is it a tv show?”
“Not that I know of, though maybe there is some show called Celebrity Heaven - it’s hard to keep up with everything important that’s going on - but that’s not what I’m talking about. What I’m talking about is the afterlife, and if it exists is there a separate heaven for celebrities, or at least a part of heaven set aside for celebrities, especially the bigger ones. It just doesn’t seem right to me that they should be in the same place as the rest of us. So what do you think? Does it make sense?”
“Celebrity Heaven?”
“Yeah.”
“I’m not sure. But why not instead rather Celebrity Hell?”
“What do you mean?”
“You know like Dante’s Inferno with the nine circles of hell. And so with each circle having a different bunch of celebrities, whatever logic they’d employ to divide them up into their differing destinations.”
“You’re out of your mind!”

No comments: