Monday 8 August 2022

Checking a Fact

Everyone obviously loves fact checking so I’m going to have a go off of it myself, where I subject to scrutiny a particular truth claim and assess its veracity or lack of. I mean to do a whole series of these investigations, but in all probability I’ll lose complete interest after just this one. So anyway the truth I am assessing is:

A watched pot never boils.

Well first of all I just watched a pot and actually it did not boil. Then though I remembered that in fairness it is the liquid contents of the pot that are being referred to rather than the pot itself, and so I added water to the pot but again it didn’t boil. However I then placed the pot on a gas hob and turned on the heat quite high, and actually after a while, not a huge amount of time, the water did indeed boil. 

So my conclusion is this fact is only a conditional fact. Often, in say a neutral situation, a watched pot (its contents) will not boil, but apply some admittedly perhaps necessary stimulation (heat), and as proven above, its contents will probably  boil. And to add, if at some stage you don’t watch the pot, you will never find out if it boiled or not.

No comments: