Saturday 1 December 2007

Doubt, Wittgenstein, a Refutation

To cast off the idiot Questioner, who is always questioning,
But never capable of answering; who sits with a sly grin
Silently plotting when to question, like a thief in a cave;
Who publishes Doubt and calls it knowledge


William Blake, Reason and Imagination.

I recently read an introduction to Wittgenstein, the bookshop having gotten this instead of the Tractatus book that had actually been ordered in my effort to introduce myself to this thinker's thought. Anyway, having gotten the tedium of the scene-setting out of the way I'll move onto the main point which relates to W's overcoming of a Descartean question of doubt, ie how can one know anything is real as perhaps what one imagines to be real is merely a dream or some such....in short how can one trust in the reality of reality. Or at least I think that's the essence of the matter.
I am dependent on my middleman's guidance as to how Wittgenstein shot this thought down, but I found his refutations not quite as potent as could have been, and a bit tedious. What Wittgenstein's points are I'm afraid I've not the inclination to search and describe, but my position is that that there is a very direct way to attack the matter, and in a manner so close and apparently natural to Wittgesntein's own way of thinking as for it to be very likely that W did in fact use the following argument elsewhere, and if so excuse my ignorants. Whether this is the case or not, this refutation is on the basis of language itself. This relates somewhat to an earlier piece I wrote here.

To say anything is to involve oneself necessarily in an acceptance that the language one is using is real and imbued with meaning; that the words one is using- if used correctly, ie meaningfully- are meaningful. This is the necessary ground from which one can say anything. So to ask the very question- how can I trust in the reality of the 'real'- is to begin with the foundation that language is real and that one is engaging in a meaningful and real act. To accept the reality of anything- in this case, language- is necessarily to accept the reality of reality. Reality cannot exist within unreality.

The position of Doubt is contrarily a nihilistic intellectual proposition in the true sense, within the framework of which one cannot grant oneself the liberty of believing language to be real and intrinsically meaningful. And so, within this framework of doubt the question of doubt cannot be asked, as to ask the question requires an acceptance of the very reality or meaningfulness of language which doubt, if true to itself, must doubt. And so, since the question of doubt cannot be formed, then doubt cannot exist, as doubt requires a mind utilising language so as to doubt.
Doubt is an intellectual activity, and all intellectual activity necessarily involves a faith in the reality of the language one is using, be it mathematical, linguistic or otherwise. This is the necessary ground.
All in all, the sceptical position is self-contradictory, and should be destroyed as a sensible proposition immediately at source.

To sum up: To ask the question of Doubt is to accept the reality of the language used in the asking, which is to refute the question.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, i wrote a longish reply then my wireless cut out and i thought 'bugger it'. Great post though, i like that you approach these eternal questions without any formal scaffolding - i hope this isn't offensive, but i like to think of you as a wild-eyed boyo squatting on the heath chewing raw potato and clutching your rags to you (a tattered hessian sack your only garment, alas), poring over Dostoevsky and Nietzsche by the light of a small charcoal fire, a rat nestling in your left armpit, a lump of cheese kept warm under the right, a true Irishman in the grand tradition, a reader and a warrior, a peasant sage, oho!

That's the way to read Wittgenstein.

Andrew said...

The accuracy of your information regarding my activities shows you obviously have your informers, and yet do not deign to conceal this fact. Interesting.

I think I'm destined to retain the lack of formal scaffolding as I seem to have a kind of intellectual immune system guaranteeing my relative ignorance. For example, no matter how often I have to look up words like epistemology, hermeneutics, etc their meaning will fail to sink in, and the next time I meet these unwelcome words, I'll have to either pass over them in vague ignorance or waste my time reaching for the dictionary, till the next time the word crops up and the same is repeated. So naturally, I'm not drawn to the type of reading where such language is well populated. Though I did use the word ontology recently in a post, I think, though I have since forgotten wtf it means.

Neil Forsyth said...

Cartesian doubt was merely a thought experiment. It wasn't a serious philosophical question. Descartes was having a laugh. Of course, Wittgenstein didn't have a great sense of humour, did he?

Andrew said...

But if Descartes posited such notions as "I think, therefore I am", and believed this to be true, then it would seem a natural question to result. If you decide your existence is dependent on thought, you're well on the way to doubt as you've decided to base your reality on ridiculous tenuous grounds. Also he seems to consider his existence is in doubt and he needs some kind of argument to demonstrate that it is based on reality, and he stumps for thoguht. Does one not exist when one isn't thinking-meditating- for example? Sceptisism seems completely of an ilk to such an understanding of life, or rather wallowing in useless paranoid fictitious concepts.

Neil Forsyth said...

Like most people, Descartes didn't doubt his existence, as far as I recall (it's been a few years). In fact, because scepticism was on the rise and he didn't like it he wished to put knowledge on a firm footing once and for all. Paradoxically, he adopted a stance of extreme scepticism as a starting point in his quest. As a mathematician, Descartes was rather fond of axioms and so thought that it would be a good idea to underpin philosophy itself with one self-evident, axiomatic truth upon which to build. He failed, of course, as cogito ergo sum just doesn't cut the philosophical mustard. That said, if one can overlook the many niggling but significant critisims of it, it does have some merit and it's also catchy. By the way, I'm not sure it was meant that existence was dependent on the cogito, as such, but rather it was such a self-evident truth about our exisence that it was very hard to refute it. I don't know about you, but my mental activity never ceases (I find it hard to relax). If it did, I would also cease to exist, at least in the sense of being fully human and not just some physical entity sitting slumped in front of the tv eating a pot noodle and watching Sex in the City or I'm A Nobody Get Me On Anything!