Monday 8 October 2007

Literature- An Ascension

There follows a fragment of the seventeenth chapter of a projected novel to which I plan to devote my creative energies in some future time with the purpose of bringing literature to the next level. This follows on from some earlier invaluable additions to the canon of intellectual good works such as here and here.

The grey sky was a positive incarnation of the opaque dullness which seemed to stifle his soul of late, and from which he could not draw the will to alter these psychological/emotional, etc conditions so unpropitious to a healthy sense of well-being in the seat of his consciousness which, if we take the liberty of saying is located anywhere, was in his head.
"This sky is a metaphysical entity," he said to his co-pedestrian colleague.
"A metaphysical entity? I suppose it is. Spengler's Decline of the West comes to mind. You know, civilisations as organic entities which live and die, and from the compost heap of one civilisation's death arises another."
"Yes, that is interesting. Have you read Hegel?"
"You're referring to the unfolding of time as a historical process programmed by God to lead in an upward curve towards a great heavenly future. This, you will understand, is, for the sake of brevity, a somewhat barbarous rendering of Hegel."
"Yes, that is what I was intimating."
"Though to return to the sky as analogy or even metaphysical entity, and remember life can be multi-layered in its meanings, if this goodly firmament were to mirror Hegel's hypothesis then there should be a little more sun peering through the clouds, don't you think?"
"But naturally. And we should be approaching the sun rather than it behind our backs."
"Undoubtedly. Though remember a setting sun in one corner of the earth is a rising one in another."
"Most certainly. And I am sure our friend Spengler would approve."

The friends were suddenly confronted by two very large gentlemen with very short hair.
"Have you got our money, assholes?"
"You'll get your money."
"I know we will. You got till tomorrow night. And by the way, that Joyce book you lent me- Ulysees..."
"What about it?"
"It's shit."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not much of a Ulysses fan myself.

this might interest you:
http://ladyliberty.wordpress.com/2007/10/08/blog-author-receives-uninvited-guests-from-the-gov/

long live free speech etc.

Andrew said...

Scary stuff, though it should be becoming no surprise the level of evil these regimes want to sink to. Why not mention it at Bryan A's blog if given a window of opportunity as a pin-prick to the attitude that tends to prevail there? You know, where Bryan says how bad the British or US juntas are, but it's a tedious job & someone has to do it, & they're well-intentioned after all, & btw, I love America, & these politicians are at heart just Simpsons type buffoons who are too inept to do any real harm, & our Brown is a totalitarian fascist but no, not really, I trust him completely. Islamism, that's the threat.
The exercising of one's independence of mind satisfying one's sense of dignity & then in the comfortable afer-glow of this pleasant act returning to the fold a better and more loyal citizen.

I tend to recoil from Ulysees on the rare occasions I feel I should give it a go. I find it suffocating & tedious, though maybe I'll dip in another time & who knows... but I doubt it.

trailbee said...

Ok, like, um, I'm confused. What is your Chapter 21 doing in your Comment column? And, like, holy smoke, you're up at 2:15 AM? No wonder your brain is so exceptionally advanced. This is the time of shooting stars and floating satellites. :)

Andrew said...

Ah but as Spengler might say, Trailbee, it was 2.15am when I wrote that but not where I wrote it. I'm not sure what time zone is used...I suppose it must be East Coast American, 5 or 6 hours behind here.
My advanced brain is wholly the result of esoteric drug use in a previous incarnation.

Andrew said...

Though I see from that post that it's actually an eight hour lag. Which means that what has already happened here hasn't happened yet where you are.

trailbee said...

It's ten hours, and you're right. Now, if you could just call me before it happens.....

Andrew said...

Put everything you've got on Dancing Mermaid in the 2.15 at Chepstow Racecourse.