Monday 6 August 2007

More Improving Literature

Following on from the unprecedented levels of enthusiasm for the previous piece, I have been been inspired to further the intellectual cause by the means of more words; words elevated by virtue of style, form & content. And so:

"Mr President."
The President looked up inquisitively, alerted by the unusual strain of emphasis in Jones' rich, baritone voice. "Yes, Jones?"
"The Belgian ambassador is on the phone."

That's as much as has been composed in that section but I know it's good.
A later fragment of the same work:

"Long time, Bono."
"I'm a busy man, Pres. So are you. We're men of the world. We understand each other."
"So we do, Bono, so we do. And that, I dare say, is our damnation."
"A man's got to make choices, Pres. And he's got to live by those choices. I didn't get to be the biggest goddamn rock-star in the whole goddamned world by sitting on my proverbial, now did I?"
"I don't suppose you did, Bono."
"You can bet your American ass I didn't. And you didn't get to be President of the goddamn United States of America by sitting on yours. Anyway, here's two tickets to next week's Corporate Rock Multi-Media tour. It's gonna blow your goddamned American mind."

. . . Bono loved saying ‘America.' It seemed to him that his very self expanded with the mere utterance of the sacred word.

4 comments:

Neil Forsyth said...

No doubt you are a genius of sorts because I'm feeling better already.

Andrew said...

I don't think the line quite makes sense but I'd love to work in something along the lines of- "Bono was more Irish than the Irish-Americans themselves."

trailbee said...

Yeah, so like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 - what?

Andrew said...

16?