Friday 3 August 2007

The Way of the Intellect- A Culmination

Our philosophical adventurer, last witnessed here, has revealed to me that he has finished a book that will shake the foundations of Western society to its deluded core. I was excited by the news but perturbed at the obstacles he may be placing in his own way by the declared title of this work:
"Why You Are So Stupid."
I mentioned something along the lines of "alienating your potential audience," in response to which he howled in derision.

5 comments:

Gar said...

Sounds like Nietzche's Ecce Homo

Andrew said...

Well, I admit the connection that struck me was the title of a late Nietzsche work, "Why I Am So Wise." Not sure if it ended up as a piece under that title or not. Perhaps our hero is enacting something like N's idea of eternal recurrence.

Anonymous said...

Just realised that line msut be a chapter heading in Ecce Homo, as you obviously knew.

Gar said...

I've read people hold this book up as evidence that N had already lost it at this state of the game. I prefer to think the chapter titles are at least half tongue in cheek.

Andrew said...

I'd say it's a bit of both; a somewhat dangerous, taunting humour where a genuinely superior being lets rip a little, & maybe the neglected N undertandably makes the mistake of asserting his own worth in relation to a shallow world rather than being sufficient to himself. Though, I must give that book a proper look.