Sunday 28 October 2007

Western Esteem

It's come to my attention that affluent governments of the West are offering enticements to governments of the destitute East so as to provide vast numbers of humans educated in the English language so as to post comments on Westerners' blogs so as to keep said Westerners' sense of self-affirmation at a desirable level. Too many of these Western citizens are engaged in blogging, but there are not sufficient others to comment on these blogs and so massage the relevant sense of self-worth of said bloggers. It is hoped that Easterners, for a certain financial incentive, can help fill the relevant self-esteem void by scouring the blogosphere, as it is known, and posting comments on blogs. The scheme is being labelled The Circus Gambit, in a clear reference to the famous maxim of social control, Bread and Circuses.
To economise on both the financial and temporal aspects, Eastern students are being equipped with an arsenal of phrases that can be inserted, generally with the aim of bolstering the blogger's self esteem, but occasionally with less adulatory phrases for purposes of realism to allay suspicion. A selection of these below:

Yes, that is what I feel I've always wanted to say, but didn't know how.
You're clearly very intelligent. I'll check back often.
That's exactly how it is!
You've made me look on the world in a new and more refined light.
Are you sure that's not racist?
I was thinking of killing myself, but reading your blog has filled me with optimism.
Apart from a somewhat idiosyncratic usage of grammar I daresay you've written a miniature masterpiece, almost infinite in its subtleties of exposition.
How lovely!
That is bordering on the psychotic.
It is as though I have found the voice that mirrors my innermost essence. Thank you.
Judging by your words, you have a way with them.
You have helped me understand the joys of abstraction.
This is a glimpse into a rarefied intellectual world in whose existence I had not dared to believe.
Is it by intent that the internal structure of your finely wrought sentences mysteriously echo the contrapuntal harmonies of the great music of the Baroque period?
Your spelling is shit.


I have obviously contented myself with limiting the scope of the above to the English language, and, for reasons of not caring enough to do otherwise, inferred that Westerners are synonymous with use of the English language.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apart from a somewhat idiosyncratic usage of grammar, I daresay you've written a miniature masterpiece, almost infinite in its subtleties of exposition.

Anonymous said...

It is as though I have found the voice that mirrors my innermost essence. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you're not a fascist?

Andrew said...

I don't think so, El, but you can't trust anyone these days.

Thank you, Heimmat. That's a real boost to my self worth.

Anatoly, the pleasure is all mine.

Anonymous said...

You might be a crypto-fascist. They're like fascists only they're clever about it. i believe one can divide humanity into two camps:

1. Fascists: these include myself, Bryan Appleyard, Henry Kissinger, Hitler, etc. We are bad and we make no bones about it. We are usually armed.

2. Crypto-fascists: these are generally hippies and grinning idealists but turn your back on them and they're suddenly screaming Zeig Heil! and committing mass homicides. These include Charles Manson, yourself, Jesus, and Chip Dale.

Hard to say which is more dangerous.

Anonymous said...

I've a couple of sample sentences added, by the way, to the list.

I'm certailny no crypto-fascist. I'm a proto-Messianic-revolutionary.