Monday 16 November 2020

New Obama Book (Updated)

[I slightly altered the following piece written a little while previously in honour of a true hero of all of ours, and so here I humbly place it before whoever’s eyes and minds it may encounter.]


Barack Obama has a new book coming out called The Bootcamp Years. Oh no sorry, a quick look reveals its actual title is A Promised Land. The mix-up was both understandable and excusable. Other titles of his I see include, upon this quick fact check, Dreams From My Father, The Audacity of Hope and of course Of Thee I Sing - A Letter to My Daughters. There is also Be Vigilant But Not Afraid.

What an arsehole. “No, no! It’s so beautiful!” Yes, yes, the fault I see is mine. It’s just so unusual, so unexpected to meet with such unashamed, unironical and remorseless integrity of spirit, this vision of virtue in human motion - and so, all in all, I lacked the purity within to accept such purity without. You may criticise me but you may not judge me. Anyway, arising from my shame and contrition, I will try to work some of his inspiration into future conversations. It’s the least I can do.

“Blah, blah, blah, blah...”(in lieu of imaginary words)
“Yes, we must be vigilant but not afraid.”
“Oh my God, you’re so right! You have infused within me the audacity of hope.”
“Yes, and with this audacity we may some blessed day reach the promised land.”
“Yes, yes! And in this future bliss, with dreams of our fathers playing in our minds, we will write letters to our daughters of how all this came to pass.”

Unfortunately, as you will have noticed, even when under the exalting influence of Obama’s own words and many hours of meditation,  I was still unable to rise my spirit to the sufficient pitch to be able to plausibly work in the ‘Of thee I sing’ bit. 


No comments: